GSoC with OpenMRS — Week 3 Update

For Google Summer of Code with OpenMRS this week, I looked into setting up the programming environment with IntelliJ as my IDE, and locating the error in the code that made the previously mentioned XSS vulnerability possible.

Setting Up IntelliJ:
I had a few issues setting up IntelliJ initially as the Java settings I had on my previously installed version were not compatible with OpenMRS. I decided to reinstall IntelliJ and start again, setting it up to be fully compatible with the Java version supported by OpenMRS. This took m a while as I am quite new to IntelliJ and I had to research the settings that needed to change for it to work.

Getting the Code and Locating the Error:
I successfully used Git and GitHub to clone the code I needed from the Manage Appointments section of the Appointment Scheduling part of the application, and opened this in IntelliJ. It took a bit of time to find the code, but once I found the src folder it was easy for me to navigate to the correct manageAppointments.gsp page. I read through the code in the page and located the line I believe to be the cause of the error — next week I plan to make changes to this to see if it is indeed the cause, and if it is, to fix it.


This week I got more to grips with how the whole system works, and hopefully from next week I can make progress more quickly.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Kate Belson

BSc Computer Science Student at University of Exeter. Participating in Google Summer of Code for OpenMRS.